Thursday, March 12, 2009

Geek stuff

I spent a few minutes this afternoon installing and testing Dell DellRemoteAccessRemote Access.

It’s kinda like gotomypc.com, which lets you link up with your home computer from anywhere in the world and instantly see your home desktop, with the ability to run programs and perform actions just as if you were at the keyboard at home.

Gotomypc .com costs about $20 a month, while the Dell product (which doesn’t run on Macs) costs $9.95 a month and comes with a 10-day free trial, of which today is the first day.

I discovered immediately that when you take the text and images that are scaled for a 24” monitor and shrink everything down to fit on an 8.9” mini laptop screen, it gets very hard to read and work with. I may have to reset my monitor resolution to something like 800x600 whenever I leave home with the expectation of remotely accessing the computer with my mini.

But it does eliminate the need to install a bunch of memory hog software on the mini.

No comments: