Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Rarities

rotary connection Much of my extensive CD collection is gone - scattered to the four corners of the nation via Amazon.com's "sell yours here" feature.

Most of it went for reasonable prices, but there are a few rarities that command rather high prices. And one of those sold yesterday.

The self-titled Rotary Connection album was one of the best examples of '60s psychedelia. I have it on vinyl and was surprised to find this CD a few years ago.

I think it was designed to be the soundtrack for smoking pot - at least that's how my friends used it. The album sides were labeled "Trip 1" and "Trip 2." The vinyl album was released in 1967 and the CD was released in November, 1996.

The lead singer was the phenomenal Minnie Riperton, known for her amazing 5½-octave vocal range. Her short career peaked in April, 1975 with the number-one single, "Lovin' You." Minnie died July 12, 1979 of breast cancer at the age of 31.

And I sold my CD yesterday to a guy in Montoursville, Pa., for 2 cents less than $100. Factoring in shipping, the buyer paid $102.96.

No comments: