Monday, January 14, 2008

Obsoleted again! Meet the Fabulous D-300


Damn! My camera is obsolete again.
Maria and I got into digital SLR photography a few years ago with the Nikon D-100. We'd sat on the fence for years, waiting for the quality of digital photography to reach that of film and the D-100 was good enough to make us take out our charge card and make the jump to digital.
We were already heavily invested in Nikon lenses, so Canon digital was never really an option for us, even though Canon stuff is every bit as good as Nikon. After I got my hands on a D-100, I think I've put maybe three rolls of film through my venerable old Nikon F5. I keep it around because it's built like a tank and there may be a day when I need a bulletproof film camera.
The D-100s served us well for a couple of years of shooting for newspapers, magazines, portrait, weddings and stock.
Then Nikon introduced the D-200. It had almost twice the megapixels, much less noise at higher ISO settings and the ability to shoot high-speed bursts that didn't immediately load up the buffer. It turned out to be a very competent sports camera. I still prefer my D-200 to the D2X and the D2H cameras Maria's newspaper owns because it has a much greater resolution and does almost everything those pro cameras do, only better.
Then, a few weeks ago, I got a Nikon insert in one of my camera magazines touting the new D3 pro SLR. If there's a D3, then the D-300 prosumer version can't be far behind.
And, sure enough, it wasn't.
The D-300 has a monster 3" monitor, a 51-point autofocus system and 12.3 megapixel reolution. And, wonder of wonders, it has a self-cleaning sensor unit. Dust has always been the bane of digital SLRs and a whole industry has grown up around devices to find and remove dust specks that get sucked onto the electronically charged sensor during lens changes. It can also shoot 6 frames per second (8 fps using the optional battery pack) and can do a continuous burst of up to 100 frames without loading up the buffer. There are lots more bells and whistles that make this the best prosumer digital SLR from Nikon so far, but I won't list them here.
And, of course, the price point is about the same as the D-100 and the D-200 when they were introduced: $1,700 for the body only.

No comments: