Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Where have all the paper funnels gone?

yellow funnel

Riding home from Billings, Mont. last July, I stopped for gas at a Kum & Go station in Elk Point, S.D and finally got around to checking my oil sight glass.

I found there was no oil showing. Fortunately, I had an unopened quart of BMW motor oil. Unfortunately, the paper funnels I stashed under the seat years ago fell apart because the glue was cooked and dried out. Fortunately, the clerk had a couple of paper funnels, one of which worked perfectly.

I had a little time on my hands this afternoon and decided to ride to an auto parts store and buy some fresh paper funnels.

I got the deer-in-the-headlights treatment at Auto Zone. The counter guy at O’Reilly Auto Parts said he thought they had some back with the plastic funnels next to the motor oil.

They did not.

I was in no mood to ride deeper into town to see if Advance Auto Parts had them, so I just bought a $1.49 yellow plastic funnel and resolved to look for paper funnels online.

Likewise, Academy Sports and Outdoors, which sells tents and camping gear, does not have tent guylines or tighteners.

No comments: