Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Disappointing, but 59 miles more than last year

both k bikes

Since I don’t expect to ride between now and midnight, I checked the odometers on both bikes yesterday afternoon, crunched the numbers and found that I rode 5,075 miles in 2014.

That’s downright pathetic, but it’s still 59 miles more than in 2013 which was the worst year since I’ve been keeping records in more than 30 years.

I had high hopes for 2014, but finances and weather persuaded me to skip the European Riders Rally in Burkesville, Ky., and the BMW RA Rally in Birmingham, Ala.

I did, however make it to the BMW MOA Rally in St. Paul, Minn. in July and the Falling Leaf Rally in Potosi, Mo. in October.

I put 2,883 miles on the 2003 K1200GT, my big touring bike, and 2,192 on the 1994 K75S that I use for running errands and day rides.

Just for the record, my best year ever was 1993, coincidentally the year of my divorce, when I racked up 21, 928 miles on my 1991 K100RS.

Weather and finances permitting, I have high hopes for 2015 with plans to ride to the BMW MOA Rally in Billings, Mont. and then on to Portland, Ore. to visit my son Sean and see his new home on Sauvie Island.

The 1015 RA Rally will be in the Ozarks – Harrison, Ark., to be precise. Perhaps I can persuade some of the Indianapolis BMW Club folks to overnight at our place before we ride over to Harrison.

No comments: