Saturday, October 12, 2013

Falling Leaf Rally weekend

potosimcdonalds I’m hanging out in Potosi, Mo. at the 36th annual Falling Leaf Rally where we got a bit of rain between 5 and 6:30 a.m. today.

Specifically, I’m at McDonald’s using their free Wifi where a couple of guys from the rally were checking out my bike in the parking lot (see pic).

I finally figured out how to use the solar-powered phone charging unit that came with my Nelson-Rigg tank bag. I tried to use it riding to and from Daytona earlier this year, but I hadn’t read the instructions closely enough to know I had to press a button on the charging unit to make the connection with my phone. I took another run at it yesterday and got it right.

Despite a weak Sprint cell signal, I was able to use my iPhone to surf the Internet last night until about 1 a.m., then plugged it into the charger, having brought my tank bag into the text with me. When I got up this morning, my phone was 100% charged. Pretty cool. Now I don’t have to hang out at rally registration tethered to a power outlet.

I got here about 3 p.m. and still found myself hours ahead of most of the Indianapolis BMW Club contingent. We’re widely scattered on the rally grounds this year, so we won’t be sharing a campfire tonight.

There’s an invitational high school marching band contest in town again this year, which means the main street is barricaded and we have to detour on side streets to get through town.

No comments: