Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Abbey

My old Indianapolis News pal Art Harris, who is a dog lover and has had black Labrador retriever duck hunting buddies for years, forwarded this touching story to me this morning:

abbeydogOur  14-year-old dog Abbey died last month.
The  day after she passed away my 4-year-old daughter  Meredith was crying and talking about how much  she missed Abbey.
She asked if we could  write a letter to God so that when Abbey got to  heaven, God would recognize her.
I told her that I thought we could so, and she dictated  these words:


Dear God,
Will you  please take care of my dog?
She died  yesterday and is with you in heaven.
I miss  her very much.
I 'm happy that you let me  have her as my dog even though she got sick. 
I hope you will play with her.
She likes  to swim and play with balls.
I am sending a  picture of her so when you see her you will know  that she is my dog.
I really miss her. 
Love, Meredith

We put the letter in  an envelope with a picture of Abbey &  Meredith , addressed it to God/Heaven.
We  put our return address on it.
Meredith  pasted several stamps on the front of the  envelope because she said it would take lots of  stamps to get the letter all the way to heaven.  That afternoon she dropped it into the letter  box at the post office.
A few days later,  she asked if God had gotten the letter yet. 
I told her that I thought He  had.
Yesterday, there was a package  wrapped in gold paper on our front porch  addressed, 'To Meredith' in an unfamiliar hand. 
Meredith opened it.
Inside was a book by  Mr. Rogers called, 'When a Pet Dies.'
Taped  to the inside front cover was the letter we had  written to God in its opened envelope.
On  the opposite page was the picture of Abbey &  Meredith and this note:

Dear  Meredith,
Abbey arrived safely in heaven.  Having the picture was a big help and I  recognized her right away.
Abbey isn't sick  anymore.
Her spirit is here with me just  like it stays in your heart.
Abbey loved  being your dog.
Since we don't need our  bodies in heaven, I don't have any pockets to  keep your picture in so I'm sending it back to  you in this little book for you to keep and have  something to remember Abbey by.
Thank you  for the beautiful letter and thank your mother  for helping you write it and sending it to me. 
What a wonderful mother you have.
I  picked her especially for you.
I send my  blessings every day and remember that I love you  very much.
By the way, I'm easy to find. 
I am wherever there is love.
Love, 
God

No comments: