Thursday, February 02, 2012

The Stars and Bars over Pine Log Cemetery

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

There’s a cemetery a couple of miles west of our house and I drive past it several times a week.

One of the graves has a flagpole from flying the Confederate Battle Flag.

I supposed it was the grave of a Civil War veteran and often thought about pulling over to have a look.

I was out for a motorcycle ride in the fine springlike weather this afternoon and made it a point to turn onto the gravel path that leads to the grave in question.

It turns out it’s the grave of a young man who died last March just a few days short of his 32nd birthday. I did an online search and found a couple of obituaries for him, but no clue about how he died. Or why the Confederate Battle Flag. I kinda like it, though.

No comments: