Friday, February 17, 2012

Just one more great deal and I’ll find something else to write about

lowepro200aw

I’ve noticed that I spend a lot of time here gloating about good deals that come my way. I never realized how happy it makes me to get good stuff really cheap.

While my posts on the subject are probably starting to get tedious, please indulge me with just one more.

I’ve carried a Lowepro Nova 5 camera bag for more than a decade and it’s showing its age. The main zipper has gone wonky and the vinyl on the carrying handle is cracked and flaking away. On one hand, it has that cool “combat veteran” look, but on the other hand it’s embarrassingly shabby.

Lowepro’s comparable model these days is the Nova 200AW. The AW stands for “all weather” because it has a cleverly designed built-in rain cover. It also has a more ergonomically padded shoulder strap.

It’s always tempting to buy a bag that’s bigger than my immediate needs, but the Nova 5/Nova 200AW is plenty big enough to accommodate enough lenses, cameras and gear to paralyze my shoulder after an hour or so of walking around.

Since I’ve found no camera stores in northeast Arkansas, I had two choices – hope I could find a bag in Memphis or buy one on Amazon.com.

If I shopped in Memphis, I would probably have to pay the MSRP of $109.99 plus the local and state sales taxes amounting to another $10.17, for a total of $120.16.

But Amazon.com has the Nova 200AW for $79.95, with free shipping since I’m an Amazon Prime member. That’s an overall saving of $40.21.

One mouse click about 10:40 a.m. yesterday and the order was placed with Amazon.

The FedEx guy delivered my bag about 24 hours later.

Yes, I truly do love Amazon.com

No comments: