Monday, April 11, 2011

The Can-Am Spyder Roadster

Longtime friend Mark Wadleigh posted this to my Facebook wall this morning:

Just saw a TV ad for the "Can-Am Roadster." A $15K tricycle with a hot babe you'll never date riding bitch pad. Despite the "La Grange" soundtrack for the spot, I am thinking "not." As a car, not enough. As a motorcycle, too P7130054much. As a faux youthenator for dork 50-something stockbrokers, it's probably right on. What thinkest thou?

I got my first close-up look at the Roadster last July at a truck stop in Wyoming. I thought it looked interesting, but not interesting enough to want one. They're obviously going for entry-level riders, since their commercial says you can take your motorcycle license test and be riding the next day. Having taught the MSF course for a decade and riding for more than 30 years, I find the implicit suggestion that no skill is required to be very troubling.

I've watched several Roadster videos on YouTube and think the bike's handling characteristics look a little scary. Well, maybe a lot scary. I might re-think all of this if I were handicapped to the point where I couldn't ride a conventional motorcycle, but I doubt it. I just see it as a great way for novice riders to get in over their heads.

No comments: