Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Social Security

Today is the third Wednesday of the month, which means it’s the day when my Social Security payment rolls into my checking account.

I just went to my bank’s web site and confirmed that it’s there. I don’t understand people who insist on getting their Social Security check in the mail instead of using direct deposit. They obviously don’t have much going on in their lives if they enjoy taking the check to the bank themselves.

I don’t feel at all guilty about taking it. After all, I paid into Social Security all of my working life and this is just my money coming back to me. I also paid a Medicare tax for a lot of years and find it puzzling that they still think I owe Medicare $138 a month deducted from my Social Security payment.

Even so, I would take a reduction in my Social Security payment if I thought it would save us from being owned by China.

There, I said it.

No comments: