Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Wednesday stuff

hastings pano JONESBORO, Ark. – The Hastings Hardback Cafe is full of computer geeks this afternoon -  more than I’ve ever seen in here.

Consequently, I had to take a table without access to an electrical outlet and am operating on battery power. My Dell Inspiron Mini 9 gets about 4 hours to a battery charge, so I’m fine with that.

The termite inspector examined our house about 1 p.m. and declared it free of termites and other pests. It’s good to know, but I’m not sure it’s $181 worth of information.

Driving in to town on U.S. 49, I met a pickup truck that was burning oilburner oil at a phenomenal rate. Or else he was fogging for mosquitoes. But then it’s a little late in the season for that.

Our Subaru Forester, on the other hand, has virtually stopped consuming oil. It was using about a quart for every tank of gas back in the spring. I took it to the dealer in Memphis and they couldn’t figure it out – no oil stains on the driveway and no blue smoke from the exhaust. The oil consumption declined sharply after we started using Castrol GTX oil for older engines, so I guess there’s something to their claims.

No comments: