Friday, October 16, 2009

I still love my del Sol after all these years


The paint is blasted out, the window tinting film is bubbling and the radio antenna is crimped and hanging on by a thread, but my 1994 Honda del Sol still delivers great gas mileage after more than 215,700 miles.hondo odometer

I filled the tank yesterday and zeroed out the tripmeter, as I do with every fill-up, and I noted I’d gone 323.8 miles on that tank of gas. Dividing 323.8 miles by 9.651 gallons, I calculate I got 33.55 miles per gallon. Not too shabby for a 15-year-old car.

My del Sol spent most of its life in Indiana, but I’ve driven it to Colorado once and Florida several times.

It needed some major transmission work around 60,000 miles and I replaced the radiator a few months ago, but mostly it’s been trouble-free. It’s certainly been the lowest-maintenance, highest-mileage car I’ve ever owned and I’m considering rewarding it with a new paint job and re-doing the window tint. The tint was done by Ziebart and carries a lifetime warranty. Since I’m still alive, all I need to do is find the time to drive to the nearest Ziebart shop (which is near St. Louis) and get it done.

No comments: