Saturday, October 03, 2009

Visiting the Shiloh battlefield

attendance

While we haven’t a chance of winning the attendance award at the Return to Shiloh Rally, the Indianapolis BMW Club has made a pretty good showing with a dozen members present.

Nine of us went to breakfast at the Inn and thmovieen Rich Nathan and I rode over to the Shiloh battlefield. I remembered that the movie in the visitor center is kind of dated, but it wasn’t until today that I realized it was made in 1956. I think it’s appalling that they haven’t had a new movie made in 53 years, considering how low-budget the one in use is. Yeah, it gives visitors a general overview of the battle and the principal characters, but it’s off-the-scale cheesy.

Before the film started, we got to listen to a guy sitting behind us explaining to his friend who was who in the Civil War, like who were the Confederates and who were the Federals and the Union. The friend was in his 50s and spoke perfect English, but he seemed to know absolutely nothing about the Civil War. I can only suppose he’s Canadian. I can’t imagine a grown American being so ignorant of U.S. history.

china cap Across the parking lot at the bookstore, we noticed the replica Union and Confederate kepis are made in China. They were also out of National Parks Passports, but I picked up more stamps.

We cruised the battlefieldstamps02 with me in the lead and I suspect I went too fast and stopped too infrequently for it to be a useful experience for Rich.

I did stop for a closer look at the Bloody Pond, the spot where wounded Union and Confederate soldiers crawled during the battle for a drink. So many died there that the water turned the color of blood, according to historical accounts.

While we were chatting about the importance of studying history, I mentioned that my firefighter brother-in-law has a degree in history from Marian College. A woman standing nearby asked if I was from Indiana, saying she lives in Fishers. I replied that i used to live in Carmel and was a reporter for The Indianapolis News and The Indianapolis Star in a previous life.

Turns out she and her brother were on a pilgrimage to Shiloh. Their father, a big Civil War buff, who died recently, loved Shiloh, so they decided to visit in his memory.

I also shot a bit of motovideo, but it’s pretty uninspiring.

No comments: