Saturday, October 24, 2009

It can never be easy, Chapter 458

xpsinside It all seemed so simple.

My plan was to pull the wonky C: drive and the backup H: drive out and move the unused 500GB drive up to the C: drive position. Since I installed XP on that drive several months ago, I planned to format it with the appropriate DOS commands and install the copy of Windows 7 I bought yesterday at Best Buy, then use it to access data and programs on the old C: drive, rescuing all that stuff at my leisure.

What could possibly go wrong?

I rolled the printer and its stand out of the way, replaced them with a low table and lifted the computer box up onto the table.

I pushed the start button and everything seemed to fire up properly.

Except. The. Monitor.

I checked all of the obvious stuff: monitor cable connections, power connections, monitor power button on… The monitor informed me that it wasn’t receiving any video signal from the computer. Just to be sure, I hooked it up to my netbook. It worked fine.

I tried every other possible video output on the back of the computer box, all without success. My best guess is that my video card crapped out at this crucial moment. But I have a call in to my computer mentor, Tim Balough, in Colorado, for a little diagnostic help before I do anything that will cost money – like go nuts and buy a new computer. And, no, I’m not going to buy a Mac.

No comments: