Friday, October 02, 2009

Stamp-o-rama!

stamps

I accomplished my National Park Passport stamping mission, but rode a lot of extra miles today.

The Brices Crossroads National Battlefield is separated by several miles from the battlefield visitor center where the coveted stamp is housed. I toured the battlefield, following the signs on the highway, then let Garmin take me to the visitor center.

The Tupelo Battlefield was kinda the same deal. The visitor center is not on West Main Street where the battlefield memorial stands. It’s actually at the Natchez Trace Parkway visitor center north of town.

Happily, the Natchez Trace Parkway visitor center also has stamps for the local branch of the parkway and the overall parkway, so I picked up three in one fell swoop. The also have the Brices Crossroads stamp. If I had only known, I could have scored all four at the parkway visitor center and saved myself a lot of to-ing and fro-ing.

elvis birthplaceBut then I wouldn’t have found Elvis Presley’s humble birthplace on the east side of town, where I posed my bike.

1 comment:

Lauri Shillings said...

I had no idea that national parks had a stamp passport. What a great way to save a souvenir of your trip! I'll have to start looking for these.