Monday, April 14, 2014

Sorry, blog, I’ve neglected you…


I just realized I haven’t posted here for a few days.
johnediting
I’ve been having fun going through my image archives now that my scanner is functional and I found my lightbox and bought a cool Mamiya 3x 6x7 loupe from longtime Indianapolis News friend Rich Miller. (It’s the perfect complement to my Mamiya 5x loupe.)
I still haven’t found the missing Janis Joplin negs, but plenty of other long-lost images have surfaced and they’re getting rave reviews from folks on Facebook.
It’s amazing how a throwaway shot, like this 1967 photo of Christmas shoppers at Glendale Shopping Center in Indianapolis – that’s when Glendale was an open-air mall – evokes such powerful nostalgia in so many people.
glendalechristmas
Being a Cancerian, I have a strong attachment to the past and an inclination to never throw anything away and my refusal to part with old slides and negatives is paying off now.
88ozark02
Like this photo from a 1988 Labor Day Weekend ride Rich Nathan and I took to the Ozarks.
lindner dairy
Or this photo Mark Wadleigh shot of me and Michael Lindberg buying milk and Tab at the Lindner’s Dairy Store at 49th and College in Indianapolis. Michael was a great guy whose life ended much too soon. A few years after this 1977 photo, he blew his brains out with a .357 magnum pistol on a park bench in Seattle. I still have a coffee table he made as a high school shop project in his hometown of Thief River Falls, Minn. It’s on loan to Morgan at present.

No comments: