Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Diversity

floraparade10

The world if full of things that seem perfectly normal to some people, but strike me as hopelessly bizarre.

I was reminded of that this afternoon while scanning images from the 1972 Flora (Ind.) Centennial Celebration Parade.

floraparade11Specifically, I’m bemused by these photos of a bunch of guys from the Kokomo Shrine Club in their tiny antique cars. I’ve seen Shriners in tiny Corvettes, too, but these things are particularly quaint.

What motivates a guy to spend time and money to join and participate in a sub-group like this? They obviously enjoy it and think it’s a worthwhile activity.

Maybe they think there’s something extraordinarily wacky about wanting to ride a motorcycle across the country. Seems normal to me, but it could be completely inconceivable to them.

I hasten to add that I don’t think there’s anything wrong with wearing a fez white shirt and tie and stuffing oneself into a tiny car and driving down the street with a dozen or so like-minded buddies. I’m glad there are such people and things in the world. It makes life interesting.

Just don’t ask me to do it.

No comments: