Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Jean Dixon in Flora, Ind.?

dixon

The town of Flora, Ind. marked the centennial of its naming in 1975 and, since it was named for some of my ancestors, I got to cover the festivities for The Indianapolis News.

I haven’t looked at the negatives I shot for decades, but when I was going through my archives last week in search of some Janis Joplin photos – which continue to elude me – I found them.

And I was startled to be reminded that the famous astrologer, psychic and syndicated newspaper columnist Jean Dixon was the parade marshal.

How in hell the folks in Flora chose and got her to appear is a baffling mystery. To me, anyway.

Dixon supposedly predicted the 1963 assassination of John Kennedy in the May 13, 1956 issue of Parade magazine. She later advised Richard Nixon and Nancy Reagan.

She died in 1997.

No comments: