Thursday, March 27, 2014

Throwback Thursday: The fledgling Cub Scout

johncubscout

It was 1952 and I was in the second grade and joined the Cub Scouts (Den 7, BTW).

Here I am in my new uniform. Most kids just wore the shirt with jeans, but my parents bought me the pants too. Looking closely, I see that I hadn't acquired the official web belt yet and I had yet to earn my first award, the lowly Bobcat Badge. It was a little round bronze pin in those days. I think it's a fabric badge now.

I went all the way through the Cub Scout ranks - Wolf, Bear, Lion, and Webelos, but I stalled out when I got into Boy Scouts and never got close to Eagle.

I still have the ceramic items in the bookcase. The rectangular thing on the wall is a mail slot right next to the front door. My dad made the bookcase when he was in shop class in high school. Sadly, it does not survive today.

No comments: