Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Airman Basic Flora

flo3703

Forty-eight years ago today, I awoke to the sound of Reveille on the first day of Air Force Basic Training at Lackland Air Force Base, San Antonio, Texas.

Here I am with my fellow trainees in Flight 1306 of the 3703rd BMTS (Basic Military Training Squadron). I seem to recall the kid on my right trying to recruit being from the Deep South and trying to recruit for the KKK.

At the age of 20, I was the second or third-oldest guy in my unit. If I recall correctly, the Selective Service was only drafting for the Army and the Marines, so all of us were volunteers. I chose the Air Force because it has no infantry. It didn’t matter because my career was cut short after only 41 days when I received a medical discharge for allergies.

So much for Vietnam and the great adventure of my generation. Nevertheless, I have the greatest admiration for those who served.

No comments: