Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Testing the waters in May, 1967

be in 01

Four hippie wannabes at an early Be-In at Dunn Meadow on the Indiana University Bloomington Campus.

It was the spring of 1967 and interesting things were in the air. I shot the photo with my Minolta Hi-Matic 7 – my first 35mm camera. The ensemble includes (from left) my longtime Delphi friend Ed Cook, Judy Deeds, Jim White, and a guy whose name I don’t recall.

Whitey was the only one that I know for sure went full-bore into the hippie scene. He and another friend went to San Francisco for the 1967 Summer of Love and never really came back. A math major who graduated from Indiana State University with a 4.0 GPA, Whitey threw it all away for a bohemian lifestyle. The last time I heard of him, he was homeless, living on the beach in Fort Myers, Fla.

Ed, a Wabash College grad and a Sigma Chi, had a career as a pilot in the Air Force and flew 747s for UPS before retiring for good to southern Indiana.

Judy went to California, but I never heard what became of her.

I got married, raised two sons and had a career in newspapers.

No comments: