Monday, May 07, 2012

Autographed photo of the day

davidson

I shot this photo of Willie G. Davidson when I interviewed him for my weekly motorcycle column in The Indianapolis News back in February, 1986.

Willie G., who just retired as senior vice president and chief styling officer of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co., was leading a ride of Harley folks from Milwaukee to Daytona Beach Bike Week and they stopped for the night at the Holiday Inn in Lebanon, Ind.

As luck would have it, one of the cable channels was running “Easy Rider,” so we chatted about bikes and life in general in his room while watching the movie.

As far as I know, my motorcycling column was the only weekly column on the subject in the U.S. at the time. It ran in The News for about four years in the mid-‘80s.

Willie G. is the son of former Harley-Davidson president William H. Davidson and the grandson of Harley-Davidson co-founder William A. Davidson. Willie G. is a very young 78.

No comments: