Sunday, November 06, 2011

Sunday electronic stuff

The original 8GB solid state drive is back in my Dell Inspiron Mini 9 netbook after the failure last week of the 32GB RunCore SSD.
It works, but just barely, with only about 600MB of free space on the drive after the OS updates and a handful of essential programs.
The good news is that I’ve ordered a 64GB RunCore SSD to replace it, which should be a significant increase in performance.
In the meantime, I’ll use the netbook sparingly and rely more heavily on my desktop computer.
I was pleased to notice that all of my electronics linked to the Internet – computers, cell phone and iPod – were aware of the end of Daylight Saving Time at 2 a.m. today and reset themselves accordingly.
Our Wifi enabled Blu-ray player has been annoyingly wonky because it doesn’t get a strong enough signal from the wireless-N router at the other end of the house. This results in interruptions in streaming video that can be maddening at times.
Since I have a spare cable modem, left over from when the cable guy added telephony to our service, I’m planning to set up a second wireless network closer to the Blu-ray player. All I need now is a cheap wireless router and I found one this morning in the Best Buy insert in the Sunday paper for $50. With a router transmitting from only 20 feet away from the Blu-ray player, our problems should be over.
Should be…

No comments: