Friday, February 04, 2011

On the South

It has been suggested that I use this blog to “bash the South as being full of stupid people.”

Not so. Let me state for the record that I don’t think Southerners are, as a group, any more stupid than folks in any other region of the United States. I have found many of the cultural differences puzzling or amusing, but if I had to bash a region for being full of stupid people, it would probably be a toss-up between New York and California.

In fact, I find much to admire in the South. People here tend to be friendlier and more generous and that counts for a lot in day-to-day living.

And, the evils of slavery notwithstanding, I completely get the States’ Rights basis for the Confederacy. If you read the Constitution closely, you can come away with the understanding that it tacitly recognizes the right of a state to leave the union.

Given the state of affairs in this country since the beginning of 2009, I wouldn’t be all that upset if Arkansas decided to secede from the Union.

No, I like the South and its people just fine and I have no desire to move back to Indiana, especially not at this time of year.

No comments: