Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Hey, my Zumo 550 has weather!

zumoweather00

I rode my bike this morning for the first time since Charlie and I put new tires on it a week ago last Saturday. The tires feel spectacular and my zumoweather01Garmin Zumo GPS seems to have sprouted a new feature.

When I tapped the XM Radio icon on the main menu screen I got the familiar XM Radio button plus buttons for Local Weather and Weather Map.

I suspect this feature became active June 1, but I never saw it coming. The Zumo owner’s manual doesn’t mention it and it has to be coming from Sirius XM. The Local Weather and Weather Map each show five days’ worth of forecasts including high and low temps and chances of precipitation. It’s not as deluxe as the weather radar feature on Charlie’s new Zumo 665, but it’s useful information and a welcome addition. Who knows, maybe Sirius XM will find a way to upgrade its Weather Map to show radar.

zumoweather02The illustrations here are crappy because I was parked in bright sunlight and even with the GPS sunshade, I couldn’t see the screen on my Olympus point-and-shoot camera to properly frame the pictures. 

No comments: