Saturday, June 19, 2010

Fabric and bagels


klassy katz I started this post at Klassy Katz, Maria’s favorite quilt/fabric store in Memphis. Owner Toni Katz graciously gave me table space in one of her classrooms to set up my Dell Inspiron Mini 9 netbook for surfing and blogging while Maria takes her time and examines everything in the store.

The alternative was sitting in the car on a day when the heat index is topping 100. The guys at Gateway Tire couldn’t find any leaks or other conspicuous malfunctions with the Subaru air conditioner, but once we got into stop-and-go city traffic in Memphis it started to flag. I found that it perked up if I stood on the accelerator and sped up to 50 mph or so, which should be a good clue for the next guys to tackle the problem. It also kept the car reasonably cool on the way down here at highway speeds.

And, we finally tracked down the elusive Memphis bagel.bagel co of memphis

I tried to find the Bagel Co. of Memphis last spring when Dom LoDuca was here, but apparently gave my GPS the wrong information. It took us right to the place today where we had a delightful lunch and loaded up on a baker’s dozen of bagels of various flavors. Our waitress assured us that this is the only place in Memphis to get genuine bagels. She said it’s a two-day process and none are held over from one day to the next. She said whatever is left at the 2:30 p.m. closing time each day is given away or the staff takes them home or donates them to the nearby Jewish  Community Center or some other such facility.

I haven’t had a decent bagel since I was at Shaprio’s Delicatessen and Einstein Brothers in Indianapolis last December, so this was an important culinary development.

Westbound I-40 traffic over the Mississippi River bridge was backed up for several miles because of construction when we came into town about 11:45 a.m. Fortunately, there were no such problems on the old I-55 bridge.

No comments: