Thursday, June 24, 2010

Cool at last!

image

I’m sitting at my desk in the heretofore blazing hot upstairs office and – wonder of wonders – I’m perfectly comfortable. It’s 88 with a heat index of 97 outside, but I’m actually feeling a bit chilly thanks to the General Electric window air conditioner I found at Sam’s Club yesterday for $168. It has an advertised capacity of 8,000 BTUs and presumably can cool a 400-square-foot room – more than enough for our office since the partially sloped ceiling makes for fewer cubic feet of air than a standard room of its square footage.

It seems like an outrageous improvement, considering that I could only stand to be up here for brief periods over the last several days and I always left drenched in sweat. And I don’t have to worry about the heat killing our electronics.

It’s an inelegant fix – I’m not happy about having an air conditioner poking out of a window on the front side of our house – but it’s a helluva lot cheaper than paying an insulation contractor to blow insulation into the ceiling with no guarantee of satisfactory results.

And it came with a remote control. How cool is that?