Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Kind of a disappointment

super-bowl_the-who As much as I hate to admit it, The Who’s halftime show at the Super Bowl was a big disappointment.

The staging was spectacular. I’m always amazed at how quickly those folks at the Super Bowl can assemble and tear down a huge stage. The lasers and fireworks and lights were dazzling.

But the sound mix was horrible. I guess that goes with the territory when there’s no time for a sound check and the guy on the mixing board has to do it all on the fly.

I also thought Pete looked like he’s been putting on weight and would have looked better without the silly hat and the floppy shirt that exposed his belly whenever he did his signature windmill. It pains me to say anything negative about Pete Townshend because I consider him the greatest composer and guitarist in the history of rock and roll. We share the same birth year (1945) and he is a continuing inspiration for everyone of My Generation.

After the game, I put on my DVD of The Who concert in Indianapolis in March, 2007, to remind me just how spectacular Pete, Roger, Zak and Pino can be when properly presented. It still stands out as the best, most exciting concert I’ve ever attended. I guess that’s why it’s such a hard act to follow.


No comments: