Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Nice bike, eh?

arriving at alma

My Alma, Colo. BMW friend Tim Balough posted this photo in the Indianapolis BMW Club Facebook gallery the other day to my delight and surprise.

I’d never seen it before.

It’s me aboard my Pearl Silver 1991 BMW K100RS, negotiating Tim’s gravel driveway in the summer of 2002. It doesn’t look like a motorcycle with more than 150,000 miles on the odometer, does it?

I can’t tell whether it was shot during the day or two I spent at Chateau Balough before riding down to the BMWRA rally in Red River, N.M. with Tim or when I visited after the rally and a week in Big Sur with Maria. Either way, it’s makes me feel good to look at it.

That was a wonderful machine. It took me to every state west of the Mississippi and two Canadian provinces, plus all of the states in the Southeastern U.S. before it developed a terminally expensive engine problem.

It broke my heart to part it out and sell it on Ebay but every year, when I go to the BMW MOA National Rally, I wonder how many parts of my old bike are there – still in the wind and making BMW riders happy.

No comments: