Thursday, November 26, 2009

Chilling on Thanksgiving night

It’s Thanksgiving night and I’m winding down from an admittedly low-key day.

As you can see, the dogs are dozing on the office carpet OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         while I crank out a blog entry and listen to my iPod.

Since Maria signed up to work the late shift, we substituted a brunch for usual turkey dinner. She whipped up a spectacular meal of killer French toast (a recipe from a charity cookbook that benefits a local hospice), eggs, hash browns and patties of Tennessee Pride sausage.

I spent a few hours this afternoon and evening filling in more blanks in the family tree on Geni.com. I’m up to more than 950 relatives and have run a couple of branches back to pre-Revolutionary War Europe. Specifically, the Flora/Flory branch back to Switzerland and the McCains (on my mother’s side) back to Scotland, by way of Ireland.

I also determined that Paul D. “Tony” Hinkle, the legendary Butler University basketball coach for whom Hinkle Fieldhouse is named, is my fifth cousin, once removed. And I found a connection with Claude Wickard, Franklin Roosevelt’s Secretary of Agriculture.

Most of the actual research was done by other people – a massive Flora/Flory online genealogy and an impressive genealogy of the McCain family in the form of a book my parents had in their library. All I’ve done is pull it all together in family tree form on Geni.com and invited several relatives to fill out their particular branches.

No comments: