Sunday, November 22, 2009

I hate Cracker Barrel coffee

cup_of_coffee

We had breakfast at Cracker Barrel this morning and I was reminded anew of how much I hate their coffee.

It’s the watery truck stop excuse for coffee that dominated American eateries for decades until heartier darker roasts began to shoulder that nasty stuff aside.

It should be a horrible embarrassment to Cracker Barrel that you can get a better cup of coffee at McDonald’s or any bookstore with a cafe.

But there is no accounting for taste and apparently there are enough Philistines who like Cracker Barrel coffee that they can actually sell the stuff by the pound ($7.99). Here’s how they hype it on their web site:

Not so long ago, most folks woke to the sound of a rooster’s call. Even then, folks knew how a fresh hot cup of coffee could help start the day. At Cracker Barrel, we searched out the finest beans and hand-selected a blend that we hope you’ll find as smooth in flavor as it is in aroma. Enjoy the same coffee at home as you do in our restaurant. Blended, roasted and ground to the exacting specifications of Cracker Barrel Old Country Store®. 16-oz. package.

If I had to drink that swill at home, I’d give up coffee and get my caffeine fix from cola.

So there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also do not like Cracker Barrel coffee. I found it to be watery, flat, and some what muddy. I have sampled coffee grown all around the world and find this to be a most unpleasant cup. It was so bad that I googled it to see what I could find.

I find it hard to beleive that they actually say that they "searched out the finest beans and hand-selected a blend that we hope you’ll find as smooth in flavor as it is in aroma."

They need some help with their selection and tasting.