Wednesday, October 10, 2007

What can a poor boy do...

I just discovered a copy of the picture sleeve of the Rolling Stones' "Street Fighting Man" was recently offered at auction for $15,000.

Yikes.

Until now, I was feeling pretty good about having sold mine for $4,300 about 12 years ago.streetfightingman

"Street Fighting Man" is the rarest picture sleeve (paper envelope for a 45 rpm single) in the world. At last report, fewer than a dozen were known to exist.

I bought mine at a record store in downtown Indianapolis before London Records recalled them because of the supposedly inflammatory photo of cops beating antiwar demonstrators.

Hell, for all I know, this picture sleeve being offered for sale in Europe could have been mine. I sold my copy to a guy named Manfred in Austria.

I've still got about 500 pounds of vinyl albums up in the attic that will make the move to Arkansas.

No comments: