Friday, October 05, 2007

Better late than never

Well, it only took me 41 years, but I finally got around to buying the Paul Butterfield Blues Band's eastwest second album, East-West.

I've had their first, self-titled album in vinyl and later CD for decades, but for some odd reason, I never picked up East-West.

I remedied that oversight tonight on iTunes, after first determining that it wasn't available as a download from Amazon.com.

Good God! It was certainly well worth the wait.

Butterfield was the master of the blues harmonica with a style so distinctive as to be instantly recognizable and this is about as good as white guys have ever done the blues.

And all along, I thought Mary, Mary belonged to the Monkees. Doh!

You won't find a better fusion of blues and rock than this album. It was incredibly influential in 1966 and it's still a kick-ass album today.

No comments: