Thursday, October 18, 2007

The real Wayback Machine

If you're old enough, or a fan of classic TV, you know about Mr. Peabody and his boy Sherman from the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show.

Mr. Peabody, a dog savant, built the Wayback Machine, which transported him and Sherman back in time.

You may be surprised to learn there is an Internet Waback Machine, that has been capturing and archiving web pages since 1996.

Go to www.wayback.com and click on Internet Archive at the bottom of the page. Then, you can enter the URL of pretty much any web page that's been on the Internet since 1996 and see one or more copies of it, captured and archived at various times during its lifetime.

I was pleased to discover that my long-defunct web site www.indyrider.com is archived there. I maintained it until I got married and moved out of the Iquest ISP area in May, 2001. I finally let the domain name lapse a few years ago. I see it now is held by someone selling motorcycle and parts.

No comments: