Wednesday, October 07, 2015

Careless lifting

gt at the ra

I pulled a muscle in my back last week lifting my heavily loaded 2003 BMW K1200GT onto its centerstand for fuelling at a Citgo station south west of Mountain Home, Ark. while en route to the BMW RA Rally in Harrison.

The curb weight of the bike is 661.4 pounds, but when you add camping gear, the contents of the two oversize saddlebags, tank bag and GPS, it’s well over 700 pounds.

There is a subtle technique to getting all of that mass up onto its centerstand without having to effectively bench press 700 pounds, but if you do it a little bit wrong, you can strain something. And that’s what I did.

I spent last evening hooked up to my TENS unit, electrically massaging the sore spots, but I think I still may need the attention of our chiropractor today or tomorrow.

No comments: