Saturday, October 03, 2015

An abbreviated BMW RA Rally

2015RA02

Where have I been?

Harrison, Ark. for the BMW RA Rally. I pre-registered in July at the BMW MOA Rally in Billings, Mont. It seemed like a good idea, being in the Ozarks and all and I expected to see lots of my Indianapolis BMW Club friends there.

Nope.

2015RA03I was one of only seven Indy folks in attendance – two couples who were staying in motels and a couple of guys who ride GS bikes and like to bash around on fire trails and gravel.

The weather was good – chilly, but sunny. I studied the forecast and chose my equipment well. The heavy-duty Browning sleeping bag was just right for Thursday and Friday nights when the temperature dropped into the mid-40s. Friday morning’s low was 45° and this morning’s low was 47°.

I didn’t go on any rides because I was more into hanging out. Unfortunately, this rally wasn’t much for hanging out and socializing.

2015RA01The most adventurous thing I did was add another stamp to my National Parks Passport when I discovered I was camped within two miles of the Buffalo National River offices. I think it’s the first stamp I’ve added in a couple of years. I carried the passport to Billings, but never bothered to look for stamp opportunities.

My Willis & Geiger Diaplex windstopper pullover turned out to be the perfect all-around comfort garment for chilly evenings and cool motorcycle rides.

I decided I’d had enough boredom this morning and struck camp. I was on the road a little after 11 a.m. under sunny skies and temperatures in the low 60s. But somewhere east of Mountain Home, the mercury began dropping and the sky clouded up. I was reasonably comfortable except for my hands. Somewhere west of Hardy, I pulled over and put windstopper glove liners into my gloves, which seemed to help along with the heated grips.

I rolled into my garage about 2:45 p.m. and thawed out with a hot shower.

I think most of my rally-going Indianapolis friends chose to skip the RA rally this weekend and, instead, go to the Falling Leaf Rally next weekend in Potosi, Mo. I have to pass on that one because I’ll be dog-sitting.

No comments: