Friday, July 03, 2015

What a relief!

charging the gt

I haven’t ridden the K1200GT for several days, so I decided to ride it down to Dollar General yesterday to keep the battery up.

Unfortunately, I waited too long. The starter groaned and quit, telling me the battery was close to flat.

That’s a worrisome thing for a BMW K-bike owner because a low battery can cause the points to fuse on the starter relay, necessitating major surgery to replace the relay, best done at a BMW dealership.

It happened to my K75S five years ago and we had to trailer it 150 miles up to Grass Roots BMW Motorcycles in Cape Girardeau to fix it.

I plugged the charger into the side accessory outlet, said a prayer in the hope that the starter relay was not fried, and let it charge overnight.

It fired right up on the first attempt this morning, to my great relief.

Phew!

No comments: