Sunday, February 01, 2015

Deer John…

john deer

I’ve wanted a stuffed deer head for a long time. But not enough to go out and murder a deer.

I have no idea what the attraction is. Maybe it started when I provided a temporary home for an enormous moose head for a coworker who was moving into smaller quarters. He reclaimed it a couple of years later, but I really liked seeing it on my wall.

Fast forward to yesterday afternoon when we were driving home from visiting friends. Maria spotted a sheet of plywood sign announcing “Basement Sale” in front of the Pine Log Road house that had been the home of neighbor David Head’s mother.

basementWe turned around and went back, finding David and his brother with a trailer full of trash. They were clearing out their mother’s house, some two years after her passing, and put the sign up about an hour earlier as an afterthought.

They took us on a tour of the house and offered us generous deals on a few items we (mostly Maria) fancied. I got the deer head for $10. She got an antique Japanese-made sewing machine for her collection for $25.

Now I have to figure out where to display my new trophy buck.

No comments: