Friday, September 19, 2014

iOS 8: backup your data first!

ios8mar20

I spent about 90 minutes upgrading my iPhone 5 to iOS 8 this morning and I have to thank Kim Komando for some very good advice.

She recommends doing a synch/backup to your computer before beginning the iOS 8 download and installation so all of your data is recoverable should something go amiss.

I did and it did. My iPhone crashed when it tried to install iOS 8 and directed me to do a restore, which wipes the slate clean and restores the phone to its factory defaults.

Happily, the restore process installed iOS 8 and reinstalled all of my personal content – contacts, music, videos, apps, the works. I don’t recall when I synched the photo before this morning, but that would have been the status which would have been installed had it not done a synch this morning.

Now, I’m exploring some of the new features, like time lapse videos in the camera, keyboard word suggestions, audio messages, etc. You can even summon Siri by saying, “Hey, Siri!” without pressing the Home button when your phone is connected to a power source, like a car charger.

No comments: