Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Cannonball bikes stolen, recovered

stolen bikes

Five antique Harley-Davidsons, four of which completed the 3,000+ mile Pre-1937 Cannonball Endurance Run, were stolen yesterday morning along with a pickup truck and trailer from a Tacoma hotel parking lot.

The trailer and bikes – minus spare engines and some parts – were recovered today at the Port of Tacoma where they were apparently about to be shipped overseas. The truck turned up at a different location.

I am reminded of the time in the 1990s when I spent an uneasy night in a Tacoma Motel 6. When I was loading my bike the next morning an Air Force officer loading her car in the adjacent parking spot, said, “I’m surprised your bike is still here this morning.” The officer was in Tacoma visiting her husband who was stationed nearby. She said there was a lot of gang activity in the area and vehicle thefts were commonplace.

I guess it helps that BMWs are rarely targeted for theft because dirtbags see more profit in Japanese sportbikes and Harleys.

I consider this one more reason to give Tacoma a wide berth when traveling in the Pacific Northwest.

No comments: