Sunday, January 19, 2014

Mount Rushmore, July 1990

mtrushmore90expanded

This was my last long ride on my 1981 BMW K100RS – my first serious sport touring motorcycle.

I was attending the 1990 BMW Motorcycle Owners of America International Rally at Rapid City, S.D. and was on a day ride to Mount Rushmore and the Crazy Horse sculpture with Tim and Linda Balough. This was back when parking was free at Mount Rushmore.

After the rally, we rode down to Breckenridge, Colo. for a week with other Indianapolis BMW Club friends before riding home to Indianapolis.

I retired the R100RS the following June when I bought a 1991 K100RS. I ended up selling the R-bike with about 80,000 miles on the odometer, to a young fire fighter who pretty much rode it to death. It was a beautiful machine and it changed my life. It broke my heart to see how badly it had been abused when I noticed it outside the service department at Revard BMW Motorcycles ten years later.

No comments: