Friday, December 27, 2013

I replaced the screen on Maria’s iPhone 5 today

cracked screen

I spent a couple of hours hunched over the cutting table in Maria’s sewing room this morning replacing the cracked screen on her iPhone5.

It got damaged when she didn’t notice it fell onto the floor by the couch and Jack, being Jack, gnawed on it, damaging the Otterbox case and cracking the screen.

I ordered an iCrackedHQ repair kit from Amazon.com for $94.90 on Monday and it arrived yesterday via UPS.

My vision is such that close-up work is best performed without contact lenses and glasses, taking advantage of my extreme near-sightedness. Even so, I had to resort to a jeweler’s loupe for the more delicate operations.

I sequestered myself in the sewing room to be free from distractions from people and dogs after coming to the quick realization that I would end up getting violent if I tried to do the work at the kitchen table.

The repair kit came with detailed instructions, which included the URL for a YouTube video of the process and a set of tools. Even so, I needed a third hand to get the plastic pry tool under the screen while I created a tiny gap by lifting it from the case with the enclosed suction cup.

I was mildly surprised to find the camera, phone and other functions are working fine now that the new screen is in place and all of the components are reassembled. I had serious doubts during the two-hour surgery.

The Apple Store (the nearest one is in Memphis) charges $149 to replace a broken screen. Now that I’ve done it, I’m confident that I could do it again if I have to, but I’m in no hurry to relive the experience.

No comments: