Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Skills

When our road was included in the official county road system a year or so ago, it became possible to have mail delivered to our homes, instead of to the row of mailboxes down where our road intersects with the main county road.

So far this has been of no consequence to me since I use a box at the post office for my mailing address.

But several of our neighbors erected mailboxes in front of their houses and now a carrier brings their mail to those boxes.

I still enjoy the security of a post office box and, come August when the U.S. Postal Service ceases Saturday home delivery, will continue to enjoy Saturday service at the P.O. box.

I heard tires on gravel a few minutes ago and looked out to see the rural mail carrier’s blue pickup truck pull into the banker’s driveway across the cul-de-sac from our house.

Because I wondered what was up, I grabbed my WWII German Leitz 15x60 binoculars and checked him out.

He took a package from his truck and walked around to the front door, where he left it.

And as he walked back to his truck, I noticed something.

He can walk and chew gum at the same time.

I like that in a government employee.

No comments: