Tuesday, February 26, 2013

From out of the past comes SPOUTO!

spouto01

I inherited all of my mother’s kitchen doodads, some useful, some not.

This is the Spouto, made by the Keyes-Davis Co. of Battle Creek, Mich., back in spouto02the 1950s. You can still find them on Ebay, but like they say on TV, they are “not sold in stores.”

I’ve been using the Spouto a lot recently, since we stocked up on Red Gold tomato juice.

It’s made to pierce the top of a big 46 ounce juice can and, with a squeeze of the lever, bend the side of the can into a convenient pouring spout. Then you use it to poke a hole on the opposite side of the can top to let air in and facilitate pouring.

I remember my mother using it to put spouts on cans of Hi-C orange drink when I was a kid on Columbia Street in Delphi, Ind.

spouto03

Pretty cool, huh?

No comments: