Sunday, February 17, 2013

One that got away

wallace mutant

I noticed this cup on Ebay a couple of days ago, advertised as a Wallace China Co. Boots & Saddle item.

I was ready to dismiss it as a counterfeit until I saw the photo of the Wallace stamp on the bottom, which pretty much guaranteed it was a special product, apart from their usual brown-on-sand Westward Ho stuff.

Corinne Joy Brown, author of what I consider the definitive reference book on Cowboy-themed dinnerware, “Come and Get It!” opined it was “a customized version for a restaurant no doubt,” adding, “I've never seen anything like it. I'd say that was rather collectible!”

The cup had four bids topping out at $26 and change up until the last 10 seconds of the auction this afternoon.

That’s when I threw what I considered an extravagant bid of $50.01 at it. To my astonishment, the bidding surged, topping out at $136.49!

I guess a few other folks thought it was collectible too.

No comments: