Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Real height vs. the illusion of height

epcot-soarin-large

If you know me, you know I have serious acrophobia – fear of heights. So the warning signs at Soarin’, the premiere new ride at EPCOT, telling people who have a fear of heights to avoid the ride, had me a bit worried as we shuffled along in line for 25 minutes.

I needn’t have worried. Even though the ride hoists you some 40 feet up and into a wrap-around, 360-degree projection screen, I had no sense that I was any great distance off of the floor. To my nervous system, it seems there is a big difference between actual height and the illusion of height. And this was pure illusion.

It was great fun swooping and banking through California’s most scenic spots, but a huge letdown when the ride ended after only 4 minutes and 30 seconds. WTF?

No comments: