Friday, December 21, 2012

Good work, Sandra!

I got this in an email from my mother-in-law this morning:

I almost got phone scammed ten minutes ago by a man pretending to be Austin.  I should have known when he pitifully said "Grandma is this you?" and I said "Austin?" which is how it works.

Austin would never call me Grandma.  But it went on a minute or so with some outrageous story that he wanted kept "just between you and me."  Then the light bulb went on (Duh) and I said "Austin Honey, what is your mother's name?"

Silence.

Close call, but I think even on a bad day I would have come to when he asked for money sent to his account.   I would never do that.

The scammer usually poses as a grandchild who desperately needs money to get out of jail or some other predicament.

Good job shutting him down, Sandra!

No comments: