Saturday, July 10, 2010

Packing

packing break july 10I’m taking a break from packing, waiting for some  clothes I plan to take that are still in the dryer.

The bike is gassed, the tripmeter and fuel consumption meter on the Garmin Zumo 550 are zeroed out, I’ve removed the stock saddlebags and installed the oversize touring bags, strapped on the tailbag, got the Rok Straps attached and waiting for the waterproof bag with my camping stuff, printed out travel/fuel log sheets from my For Two Wheels Only software, I’m rearranging the contents of my tank bag, and on and on…

Yesterday’s ride in the rain up to Cape Girardeau (no rain on the return trip) reminded me of a serious limitation with my Frogg Toggs rain gear. In most situations, I absolutely love Frogg Toggs. They’re lightweight, wonderfully breathable and pack into a very small space. My problem is that my stomach rides up against the back of my tank bag and the contact lets rain wick right through the Frogg Toggs, soaking my shirt and the front of my pants.

I raised the subject with Pat at Grass Roots, but all he had for me was a $200 BMW rainsuit, which I’m sure is state of the art, but a bit more than I care to spend. So I’m packing my old orange-and-blue First Gear suit that is at least 14 years old. I have photos of myself in it from the 1996 BMW MOA rally in Morganton, N.C. and I think I’d had it for a season or two before that. The mesh lining is deteriorating and it’s a spectacular hassle to put on and take off, but it works. I’ll scour the vendors at the rally in Redmond for a decent replacement.

morganton rainsuits

Rallying in the rain in Morganton, N.C., in July, 1996

More and more motorcycle riding apparel manufacturers are building rain protection into their jackets and pants, so it’s not as easy to find a serviceable rainsuit as it was 10 years ago.

I could also stand to replace my helmet (8 years old) and my BMW GoreTex boots (9 years old), but this trip will be expensive enough as it is.

1 comment:

Retired in Alma said...

Hey! I know those folks. How come they are all GRAY?