Friday, July 09, 2010

It’s only water

rain i55a

Pat, the parts guy at Grass Roots BMW Motorcycles, called me a little after 10 this morning to say my part had arrived, so I hit the road for Cape Girardeau.

Except for a few sprinkles, I managed to avoid rain until a few miles south of Sikeston, Mo. I’d been watching for windshield wipers on oncoming traffic and knew I was in trouble when I noticed everyone had his wipers on and the northbound cars were throwing up big clouds of spray.

rain i55bI pulled under an overpass and, while I put the rain cover on my tankbag, two guys on Harleys pulled up behind me.

I got into my Frogg Toggs rainsuit, wished them well and took off. The rain grew in intensity to the point where I felt obliged to stop under overpasses three more times riding north from Sikeston. Finally, about 16 miles south of Cape Girardeau, I noticed clearing skies and found myself on dry pavement about 7 miles south of town.

Pat made good on his offer of a free lunch at a nearby Italian restaurant – I had the three-cheese manicotti. Now I’m sitting comfortably in the customer lounge, taking advantage of the free Wifi and waiting for my bike to be done.

Then I get to play rainsuit roulette again on the ride home.

No comments: